As the countdown to the November 8 governorship election in Anambra State gathers momentum, the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, on Tuesday in Abuja warned troublemakers to steer clear of the state as any form of violence during the poll would be met with a “strong and uncompromising” response.
This is just as the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Joash Amupitan, SAN, warned that the commission would not condone vote buying during the election for which it will deploy 24,000 personnel.
Ribadu, who was represented by Hassan Yahaya Abdullahi, Director, Directorate of Internal Security, ONSA, cautioned against violence during the election, as the authorities will deploy all necessary logistics to guarantee a violence-free poll.
He urged all the parties fielding candidates in the poll as well as their supporters to conduct themselves peacefully during and after the election.
“All participating political parties and their candidates must advocate for peace and encourage their supporters to conduct themselves in a manner that honours the integrity of our electoral system.
“Any form of violence during the elections will be met with a strong, uncompromising response,” the NSA emphasised.
Ribadu declared that the Nigeria Police along with other law enforcement agencies are poised and determined to guarantee a congenial atmosphere, advising the citizens of Anambra to commit to a peaceful electoral process.
His words: “In conclusion, the Nigeria Police Force, as the lead agency for election security, along with other security agencies, stands prepared and resolute to maintain a secure environment during the Anambra State governorship elections. We call upon all citizens to collaborate and commit to a peaceful electoral process that reflects our shared values and aspirations.”
Earlier in his address, INEC boss, Professor Amupitan, said the commission is fully prepared for the election in terms of logistics.
He disclosed that the off-season election in the South-East state will hold in 5,718 of the 5,720 polling units in the state. According to Amupitan, two polling units will be excluded from the process due to the absence of registered voters.
He also justified the extension of the collection of Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) till next Sunday as he noted that only 63.9 per cent of eligible voters have so far picked their PVCs.
He said: “We plan to deploy 24,000 personnel. The election will be held in 5,718 of the 5,720 polling units in the state; voting will not take place in the remaining two polling units due to the absence of registered voters. Results will be collated in 326 ward centres, 21 local government area centres and finally at the State Collation Centre in Awka.
“Due to the report of the high-powered delegation of four national commissioners to Anambra State that only 63.9 percent of the voters collected their PVCs, the commission met on Monday and decided to extend the ongoing collection of PVCs in Anambra State, starting from today (Tuesday), until Sunday, November 2. This extension is aimed at ensuring all eligible voters can collect their cards at the designated collection centres across the 326 Registration Areas (wards) in the state. Our mandate is to conduct credible elections and we are determined that no eligible voter should be disenfranchised.”
The commission reiterated that the collection of PVCs must be done in person, emphasising that no proxy collection would be allowed.
INEC also appreciated the patience, enthusiasm and cooperation of Anambra residents and urged them to use the extended period to prepare for the governorship election.
The INEC chairman, who dropped the hint, said that security agencies have identified flashpoints in the state, and urged them to sustain the existing synergy to safeguard the lives of personnel and the electorate that would partake in the election.
Like his immediate predecessor in office, he warned against the menace of vote buying which he noted was inimical to the integrity of the electoral process.
“We would like to warn that any attempt to induce voters before or during the Anambra election must be resisted and curtailed. We must join hands to combat the menace of vote buying. The commission is pleased with our collaboration with law enforcement agencies, especially the anti-graft agencies, to stop vote buyers from contaminating our electoral process.
“Security agents cannot afford to create an environment that allows vote buyers to operate during the Anambra election. Together, let us combat vote buying, uphold the values of democracy and work for the credibility of our elections. The path ahead may be challenging, but if we stand united, there is nothing we cannot achieve,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Kayode Egbetokun, has approved the deployment of 45,000 officers for the Anambra governorship election.
The IGP, represented at the event by the Commissioner of Police for Special Intervention Squad, Abayomi Shogunle, said the deployment would ensure adequate security before, during and after the polls.
He announced that pre-election deployments would begin on November 1, with tactical units conducting clearance operations to neutralise threats and arrest potential troublemakers.
Credit: Nigerian Tribune
