By Ifeoma Ejiofor
The leading governorship aspirant in the Anambra State November 6 governorship election, Chief
Rommy Okoli, Akajiugo Ukpor & Ozioma Nnewi (The Messenger) says his administration will conduct local government area election one year after his Inuaguration.
Chief Okoli, who was chairman Nnewi South LGA stated this during a press briefing in Awka.
The governorship aspirant flanked by his colleagues at PPM office, noted that under his watch as the Anambra State governor, democracy would be deepened in the state through the conduct of the much awaited council polls a year into his administration.
“Local Government Areas are the closest to the people at the grassroot, being a former council chairman, I am fully aware of the constitutional responsibilities of the council to the people, and that is why I will ensure that all the litigations around the conduct of local government election in Anambra State are politically resolved immediately after my inauguration.” The Messenger noted.
He pointed out that by allowing the council areas to carry out their constitutional responsibilities, less pressure would be on the state government as the local government areas would naturally play complimentary roles of developing the state.
Chief Okoli said also that many politicians in other states have actually had the opportunity of growing from the local government areas to national prominence and that Anambra State will not be an exemption.
He said that jobs will be created at the council areas if a democratically elected executive council are in place in the twenty one local government areas which according to him would take pressure off the neck of the state government.
“The Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano has tried by taking development to all the council areas in the state, under my watch, we will deepen the process through the conduct of local government election a year into our administration.” He said.
The Messenger however placed it on record that it is not the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) that is responsible for the non conduct of local government election in Anambra State by going to court.
“I am the New Face of Service to Humanity and my primary purpose is to build a new Anambra State.
I promise and pledge in the name of the Almighty God to serve Ndi Anambra with humility, honesty and diligently.
I have a dream that we shall rescue and free ourselves from this situation in Nigeria. We need to develop our state as an examplary economy with our huge human and material resources available since our country cannot and will never advance our development and growth.
“Basically, my adminstration will rigorously pursue a ten points agenda
- Road construction and rehabilitation with drainages.
- Provision of free medical services and improved health care delivery system. In my government, there will be free antenatal available to pregnant women. I will also set up twenty one Referral Clinics in the 21 Local Government Areas of the state and hand them over to missions which have done so well in the management of the schools returned to them by the government. Under my watch as Anambra State governor, I will employ qualified medical doctors, nurses and other professionals in the health sector for all the General Hospitals in the state. Functional ambulances would also be provided for the hospitals so that during emergency, patients can quickly be evacuated. Power supply will be available to the hospitals 24/7
- Rehabilitation of Primary, Secondary and Tertiary school’s education facilities.
- Security of lives, property, infrastructural development and general improvement of the standard of living.
- Sustanace of the laudable ‘Choose your Project Initiative’ of Sir, Dr Willie Obiano’s government in all the communities in the state.
- Produce and implement a Master Plan on markets and urban development, affordable housing and erosion control.
- Employment of Youths, Empowerment of Women, Poverty Alleviation, ICT, Developmental Transformation, Sports Development with construction of mini stadium in each of the 21 Local Government Areas.
- Easy access to land for agriculture, provision of soft loans and farm implements to farmers and agro based industries.
- Stomach Infrastructure: I shall institute a weekly ‘Hour of Mercy’ and ‘House of Charity’ program in every community termed ‘Charity Kitchen’ to feed the hungry. It will be an interdenominational Evangelical Ministry to spread the seeds of love, give hope to the hopeless, Divine healing for the afflicted and take message of salvation to the nooks and crannies of the state.
- As former Chairman of Nnewi South Local Government Area, resident in my community Ukpor, my home town, I shall bring infrastructural development to the rural areas of the state to facilitate the growth of economic activities, transportation of farm produce to the urban centers, provision of soft loans for traders, farmers, women and youths.” He said.
The Messenger declared emphatically that never again shall Anambra State common patrimony be vandalized and plundered by greedy and wicked politicians with huge appetite noting that he has started mobilizing the masses to take over the power which actually belong to them.
“I have experience, capacity, ideas, vision, contact and managerial skills to move Anambra State forward and deliver on my promises and social contract with the good people of the state. I solicit the support of the members of my party, APGA, critical stakeholders and media practitioners in my vision of transforming a New Anambra State of our dream.” Chief Okoli concluded.