The National Working Committee (NWC) of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) has directed panels mandated to conduct the House of Representatives primaries across the country to halt the declaration of candidates.
Rather, the party leadership has instructed the panels to collate reports and forward them to the party’s national headquarters.
A source close to the party’s NWC confided in our correspondent that the decision followed complaints received from stakeholders across the country.
However, an APC memo cited by LEADERSHIP yesterday asked the National Assembly Primary Election Committees to halt the announcement of results and all other press briefings on the primary elections.
The memo was signed by the National Organising Secretary, Suleiman Mohammed Argungu. It was dated May 17 and addressed to all chairmen of the National Assembly Primary Election Committees with the title: “Central Results Collation and Announcement Centre.”
It read: “Please be informed that established procedures exist for the collation and announcement of results arising from the National Assembly Primary Elections.
“These procedures are outlined as follows: ward collation, local government area collation, designated constituency collation centres, and submission of results and reports to the national headquarters.
“Accordingly, no committee is permitted to conduct media briefings within their respective states of assignment. Any official briefing, where necessary, shall be conducted exclusively in Abuja after the submission of all results. Please be guided.”
Several attempts were made by LEADERSHIP to verify the authenticity of the memo and the party’s directive. A reaction based on the memo was sought from the APC National Chairman, Prof. Nentawe Yilwatda, but he had not responded as of press time. Similar attempts to contact the National Publicity Secretary, Felix Morka, the National Organising Secretary, Argungu, and the spokesman for the national chairman also yielded no response.
Meanwhile, the development comes amid mounting tension within the APC in Ondo State following the refusal of the party’s seven-man National Assembly Primary Election Committee, headed by Hon. Iboroma Harry Dabibi, to declare the results of yesterday’s House of Representatives polls.
It was gathered, however, that the party’s NWC directive came on the heels of reports that the Ondo State panel secretary, Adamu Mohammed Shamaki, and two other members had returned to Abuja, leaving the chairman and remaining members in Akure as a result of a crisis of confidence.
Sources within the party said disagreements among members of the committee had stalled the process in Ondo amid allegations of external pressure to declare certain aspirants as winners, including some who had earlier been disqualified by the party.
The secretary was said to have protested that the panel did not have the power to announce the list of consensus candidates allegedly preferred by Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa.
He reportedly insisted that the panel collate its findings and reports and submit them to the party’s National Working Committee.
Seven aspirants had earlier been disqualified from the race. They are Hon. Adefisoye Tajudeen (Idanre/Ifedore), Olusegun Ategbole (Akoko South West/Akoko South East), Seun Ajongbolo (Akoko South East/Akoko South West), Ayodele Arowole (Owo/Ose), Murufu Ibrahim (Akoko North East/Akoko North West), Oseni Oyeniyi (Akoko North East/Akoko North West), and Olaleye Adedipe (Akoko North East/Akoko North West).
Three of the disqualified aspirants — Adefisoye, Ategbole, and Arowole — were said to be among Governor Aiyedatiwa’s preferred consensus candidates for the primaries. Curiously, they all participated in the primary election.
Party sources alleged that some political actors, said to be acting on the governor’s instruction, mounted pressure on the committee to declare nine consensus aspirants as winners of the elections.
“Ondo State is again in the news for unpleasant reasons, as the situation in the state calls for concern. We are aware that the secretary of the panel in that state and two others left the state angrily.
“We do not know why, but our preliminary findings show that not all is well among the committee members, and that is why we have issued a directive to all states — meaning the panels — that they should collate and submit their findings to the NWC rather than declare candidates.
“They attempted to announce three aspirants as winners in their constituencies: Hon. Abiola Makinde (Ondo West/Ondo East), Hon. Wunmi Edet (Akure South/Akure North), and Muyiwa Daramola (Okitipupa/Irele).
“They could not proceed further because the committee secretary and two other members had left. There is no way such results can be submitted to the National Working Committee (NWC) without the secretary’s signature.
“One question to ask is: what were Arowole and Ategbole doing at the collation centre despite their disqualification? They were expecting to be declared winners to create grounds for litigation against the party.”
Concerns have also been raised over the presence of the APC National Youth Leader, Dayo Israel, at the collation centre despite not being a member of the committee.
A party member said, “The presence of Dayo Israel is another issue of concern. He is not a member of the committee. What was he doing at the collation centre? Whose interest was he representing? Was he also trying to influence the process?”
The sudden return of the secretary and other members to Abuja has further heightened anxiety over the conduct of the party’s senatorial primaries scheduled for tomorrow, as their absence may affect the exercise.
At least 31 Incumbent Reps Lose Return Tickets
Meanwhile, no fewer than 36 All Progressives Congress (APC) members in the House of Representatives have lost their return tickets for the 2027 general elections.
Although there are still disputes over the outcomes of primaries held across the country, the results have come as a shock to many political observers.
In Nasarawa State, two serving lawmakers in the Green Chamber lost their primary contests. They are Abdulmumin Muhammed Ari (Nasarawa/Toto Federal Constituency) and Jeremiah Umaru (Wamba/Akwanga/Nasarawa Eggon Federal Constituency).
In Niger State, Abubakar Abdul Buba, representing Chanchaga Federal Constituency, stepped down and will not be returning to the House.
In Cross River State, four lawmakers lost their seats. They are Dr Emily Inyang (Akamkpa/Biase), Mike Etaba (Obubra/Etung), Bassey Akiba (Calabar Municipality/Odukpani) and Godwin Ofiono (Ogoja/Yala).
In Ondo State, two serving members of the House of Representatives lost their bids to secure APC return tickets. They are Hon. Jimi Odimayo (Okitipupa/Irele) and Hon. Derin Adesida (Akure North/Akure South). Results are still being awaited in six federal constituencies.
In Rivers State, three serving members lost. They are Hon. Anderson Alison Igbiki (Okrika/Ogu/Bolo), Hon. Inombek Abiante (Andoni/Opobo/Nkoro) and Hon. Boma Goodhead (Asari-Toru/Akuku-Toru).
In Kogi State, David Zakaraya, representing Idah Federal Constituency, was defeated.
In Edo State, two members were said to have lost, with one denying the report. House Majority Leader Julius Ihonvbere (Owan Federal Constituency) denied losing his bid for a third term, while Eseosa Iyawe was reported to have lost the Oredo Federal Constituency ticket.
In Imo State, four incumbent House members were denied return tickets. They include Matthew Nwogu (Aboh Mbaise/Ngor Okpala), Miriam Onuoha (Okigwe South), Harrison Nwadike (Isu/Njaba/Nkwerre/Nwangele) and Emeka Martins Chinedu (Ahiazu/Ezinihitte).
In Kaduna State, Mathew Donatus was said to have lost the Kaura Federal Constituency ticket.
In Kwara State, Ismail Kayode, representing Ifelodun/Oyun/Offa Federal Constituency, lost his return ticket.
In Kebbi State, Mansur Musa Jega lost the APC ticket for Jega/Gwandu/Aleiro Federal Constituency.
In Jigawa State, four serving lawmakers lost their return tickets. They are Muktar Muhammad (Kazaure/Roni/Gwiwa/Yankwashi), Ibrahim Usman Auyo (Hadejia/Auyo/Kafin Hausa), Sa’adu Wada Taura (Ringim/Taura) and Yusif Sa’idu Miga (Jahun/Miga).
In Delta State, longtime federal lawmaker Nicholas Mutu failed to secure the APC ticket for Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency.
In Plateau State, Rt. Hon. Yusuf Ademu Gagdi, representing Pankshin/Kanke/Kanam (PKK), was also affected.
Five representatives from Benue State were affected. They are Hon. Dickson Tarkighir (Makurdi/Guma), Hon. Terseer Ugbor (Kwande/Ushongo), Hon. Sesoo Ikpagher (Vandeikya/Konshisha), Hon. Asema Achado (Gwer East/Gwer West) and Hon. Sekav Iortyom (Buruku).
In Ekiti State, three members were affected: Hon. Adeniyi Rufus Ojuawo (Ekiti South West/Ikere/Ise-Orun), Hon. Akinlayo Davidson Kolawole (Ido/Osi/Moba/Ilejemeje) and Hon. Abiodun Omoleye (Ijero/Ekiti West/Efon).
Akume Loyalists Lose APC Reps Tickets, Wife Wins
Loyalists of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, George Akume, and serving members of the House of Representatives from Benue State have lost their APC return tickets in the primaries held across the state.
However, Akume’s wife, Regina Akume, secured her return ticket for the Gboko/Tarka Federal Constituency seat.
Lawmakers who failed to secure tickets include Asema Achado (Gwer/Gwer West), Dickson Tarkighir (Makurdi/Guma), Terseer Ugbor (Kwande/Ushongo) and Sekav Iyortyom (Buruku).
Announcing the results at the party secretariat in Makurdi, Chairman of the National Assembly Primary Election Committee, Alhaji Saidu Mahuta, said Ojutu Ojema won the ticket for Apa/Agatu Federal Constituency.
He declared Regina Akume winner in Gboko/Tarka, while Christopher Terfa Ikper emerged winner in Makurdi/Guma and Hon. Gideon Inyom in Buruku Federal Constituency.
In Obi/Oju Federal Constituency, Dr Peter Egbodo won the APC ticket, while Anthony Agom clinched the PDP ticket.
In Gwer East/Gwer West Federal Constituency, Terhemba Nongo secured the APC ticket after defeating other contenders.
Prof. Kohol Iornem emerged winner in Kwande/Ushongo, while Solomon Wombo won in Katsina-Ala/Ukum/Logo. Livinus Tsar also emerged victorious in Vandeikya/Konshisha.
Blessing Onuh, representing Otukpo/Ohimini Federal Constituency and daughter of former Senate President David Mark, also won the APC ticket.
Gov Alia in Control
Following the primaries, Governor Hyacinth Alia is said to have dismantled APC structures in Benue State previously controlled by the SGF, George Akume, since 2015.
Akume had, during reconciliation talks in Makurdi, called for automatic tickets for Governor Alia and his loyalists, but the governor insisted all aspirants must participate in direct primaries.
One Feared Killed at Plateau Primary Venue
One Sani Abdullahi, a resident of Kasuwan Ali community in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, was reportedly shot dead at the venue of the APC House of Representatives primary election.
According to an eyewitness, the victim was allegedly shot by security personnel following a disagreement over the delayed commencement of the exercise.
Ibrahim Sale said the trouble began when APC members protested the delay in the start of the exercise scheduled for Saturday.
“The exercise was supposed to take place on Saturday morning, but it did not take place due to the absence of returning officers. So the youths started protesting, alleging that the delay was deliberate,” he said.
He added that government officials later left the venue after being unable to proceed, while youths blocked the road demanding the arrival of electoral officers.
“As soon as the security personnel arrived, the youths started throwing stones. The security personnel then started shooting, and a stray bullet hit the victim, killing him,” he said.
The incident sparked confusion at the venue, with residents calling for investigation and justice for the deceased.
Credit: Leadership
