The Ghana Police Service has said two suspects arrested in connection to the demolition of a building on the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra would be arraigned before a competent court.
In an update on Thursday by its Criminal Investigation Department, the Police said the suspects were charged with unlawful entry, unlawful damage, amongst others.
The statement signed by CID Head, Public Affairs, DSP Juliana Obeng, party read, “The Criminal Investigation Department in the course of investigation on Monday, June 22, 2020, arrested two persons involved in the demolition of a building on the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra.
“The suspects involved in the act, have been charged with the offences of Conspiracy to Commit Crime to wit; Unlawful Entry and Causing Unlawful Damage contrary to sections 23(1), 152 and 172(1b) respectively of the Criminal and Other Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29) and will be arraigned before Court.”
The PUNCH had earlier reported that the Presidency said the Federal Government would not engage in “street fight” over the matter.
Garba Shehu, spokesperson for the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), said on Wednesday that “the President of Ghana has called and regretted the action and apologised to the President of Nigeria.
“I think he has shown leadership in the matter and what should Nigeria do? These are two leading countries in West Africa.
“Nigeria will not engage in a street fight with Ghana. This cannot happen.”